Want to save money on your home decor? Learn to paint your own set of farmhouse corbels with this easy to follow layered paint technique.
Farmhouse Corbels are the perfect way to add dimension and style to your home decor. Today, I’m going to show you how to paint corbels so that they have a restoration hardware look. Let’s go over the supplies & get started!
**This post contains affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission from the sale – at NO cost to you! I only recommend products that I love & want to be sure you can find them all super easy!**
Supplies you’ll need to achieve the look:
**Click on the name of the product for more information!!!**
- Set of unfinished corbels – The corbels I used for this tutorial where made by my husband, but you can find similar cut-outs at your local hardware store or lumber yard.
- Tobacco Road VooDoo Gel Stain by Dixie Belle
- White Magic VooDoo Gel Stain by Dixie Belle
- Howdy-Do Hemp Seed Oil by Dixie Belle
- Gorilla Wood Glue
- Paint Brushes
DIY Farmhouse Corbels Layered Paint Technique Tutorial:
- First, apply a layer of the VooDoo Gel in the color Tobacco Road using a paint brush. Wipe back any excess gel and let dry.
- Once that layer is dry, dry brush the VooDoo Gel in the color White Magic over the top of your first coat of Tobacco Road. Blend out the White Magic dry brush layer using a cloth to give your corbels a restoration hardware look.
PRO TIP: To achieve a “dry brush” effect, you will first put a small amount of paint on the very ends of your brush bristles. Then, off-load any extra paint onto a towel to make sure you don’t have too much product on your brush – you want it to be nearly dry. Finally, lightly “dry brush” the area you are painting. Use a very light hand for this step, as you can always go back and add more.
- At this point, I used Gorilla Glue to add a bottom trim piece to both of my corbels. This is only something you will have to do if you make your own corbels and want to finish them with a base like mine.
- Once the glue was dry, I finished the corbels by adding a layer of Howdy-Do Hemp Seed Oil by Dixie Belle. You can apply this product with a cloth. After 2 hours, the Hemp Seed oil will dry to a matte finish.