Today I’m going to show you how to dye fabric with paint! In this video tutorial you’ll get step-by-step instructions for this fun and easy project!
Hey y’all! In today’s post I have a fun and easy way to coordinate all of your fabrics with your decor – dye it with paint! Yep – I’m going to show you how to dye fabric with paint. In this case, we will be using Dixie Belle Chalk Paint, but you can use whatever chalk paint you’d like. Let’s get going with this tutorial that will show you everything you need to know about how to dye fabric with paint!
(**This post contains affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission from the sale – at NO cost to you! I only recommend products that I love & want to be sure you can find them all super easy!**)
How To Dye Fabric with Paint Supplies List:
- Large Bowl
- Large Tub
- Measuring Spoons
- Dixie Belle Chalk Paint – I used the colors Soft Pink and Peony
- Spray Bottle
- Pillow Cover or other fabric to dye. You can find the Pillow Cover I used HERE!
How To Dye Fabric with Paint Tutorial:
- To begin this project, you will need to create the “dye” from your paint by diluting it with warm water. The ratio that I’ve found to work best for Dixie Belle Paint is 1 part paint to 20 parts water or 1 tablespoon of paint per every 1 1/4 cups of water. To create the dye you will simply add your paint to the warm water and whisk it. For the pillowcase shown in this tutorial I made my dye by combining 3 tablespoons of Dixie Belle Chalk Paint in the color Soft Pink and 1/2 teaspoon of Dixie Belle Chalk Paint in the color Peony to get a pretty pastel pink.
- Next, you will dampen your fabric with a spray bottle. This will keep your dye from adhering to your fabric in uneven patches. THIS is my favorite spray bottle! I use it for all of my projects.
- Now, it’s time to put your fabric into the dye mixture you’ve made. Make sure you have a large enough container and plenty of the dye solution, as you will be submerging your fabric. Simply put your solution into your container and add the fabric you are dying. Be sure you have it totally submerged in the dye mixture.
- You will want to let your fabric sit in the container of dye until you get the color you desire. I kept mine in the solution for about 45 minutes.
- Finally, you need to let your fabric to dry completely. Then, heat seal the color onto the fabric with an iron or by placing it into an empty dryer.
Watch below as I show you How To Dye Fabric with Paint!!
Now you know how to dye fabric with paint!! Be watching for future blog posts that will show you how create the entire look you see in the image above!! Until then, find me on Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest for more DIY home decor crafts you are sure to love!!